1. Does my website look terrible on my mobile?
Is mobile browsing taking over the world? Yep. Is making your website mobile and tablet-friendly hard? Nope! Making your existing website mobile and tablet-friendly is a relatively simple task that any good web developer can fix. As mobile browsing is a relatively new concept, if your website was built prior to 2012 chances are it wasn’t designed to be mobile-friendly.
2. Am I still promoting an event from July 2013?
So maybe last year’s ‘Christmas In July’ event was a real hoot. That doesn’t mean it should still be on your website. Obviously, this is just my somewhat humorous example (well, at least I made myself laugh) of outdated content. If you have old events, information, or perhaps ex-team members on your website, they need to be removed. Showing old content like this on your website could mean one of 3 things…
- You don’t have a Content Management System: It’s a surefire sign that you can’t edit your website yourself. I believe every business should have the ability to edit the majority of text and images on their website themselves. Because let’s face it, paying a professional $50+ per hour to change a few words is a little excessive. We create websites using the WordPress Content Management System (CMS), so editing images, text, pages, blog posts and menu items couldn’t be easier.
- Your website has a CMS but you’ve never received the training on how to use it. Depending on the platform we might be able to help.
- You just don’t have the time to make website updates yourself. Like many of our clients, you’re time-poor and need to focus on your daily business needs rather than marketing.
3. Can visitors ‘Like’, ‘Share’ and ‘Tweet’ content from my website?
Sharing our latest internet discoveries with our friends list has quickly become a popular pastime. Not to mention it’s awesome FREE advertising for your business. So why not make it super easy for people to share information about your business with their social network? Adding a social sharing plugin to your website pages and blog posts is really easy.
4. Does my website have a black background, bright blue links or an animated gif?
Ok, so I’m getting a little specific. Basically, if your website looks like it could have been designed 10 years ago, then it’s definitely time for a face-lift. If you’re wondering why having a black background on your website is a big no-no, watch out for my new blog post dropping soon My Best Tips For Your Small Business Website.
5. Does my website look weird in Internet Explorer?
As any web designer or developer will tell you, the day Internet Explorer dies it’s inevitable death cannot come soon enough. The way IE interprets code is quite different to other browsers, so the process to ensure a website looks and functions perfectly in IE is significantly more time-consuming than it is for other browsers such as Firefox, Chrome and Safari. However, despite being clunky, glitchy and super annoying*, IE is still a popular browser, especially for older generations, so ensuring your website looks and functions on ALL browsers is important. Why not check out your website on a few different browsers and see if you notice any variations.